Section 504 of the American Constitution, solicits first civil-rights to the qualified disables. It stands up against ill-practices towards people with a disability. This stand to protect the weaker section of the society and encourage them to move up in the society on personal and professional front is a commendable act and is a milestone in the strength of civilized American societies. Section 504 allows disabled employees a fair chance to grow vertically in organisations and procure the right to quality education for the children qualified as disables.
Every child is special. Disabled children are more special owing to the handicap attached to them. Such students need special care and attention, something that majority of the educational institutions fail to provide.
The 504 Plan, ensures that the disabled children who possess the desire to get educated, are well educated. The plan asks the institutions to make necessary amends for making quality education available to the disabled children. The educational institutions agreeing to accept such proposals and complying to them are given valuable subsidies and other benefits from the governmental bodies.
HOW DOES 504 PLAN WORK?
THE LETTER FROM PARENTS
Home is the starting place for everything. The initial stage of the plan starts by a letter from the parent to the educational institution describing the shortfall on the side of their wards. The letter describes the special care that the child needs. Based on the facts on this letter, does the school issue a letter of assurance that the ward will properly be taken care of.
TEACHING THE TEACHERS
The teachers are given special training to deal with emergencies for special students. According to 504 Plan, the educational institution should conduct seminars for the teachers and professors to be prepared for handling special students in their delicate state.
SECURING THE STUDENT
Though it seems like an up-hill task for the school authorities to adjust to the need of special students, the real test is for the disabled students to face the challenges as they get mixed with the world which kept them at bay. So, making such student feel comfortable and a part of the happenings, the educational institutes must keep orientation events and motivate the special students to participate which unlocks the hitches and makes them feel at ease.
EXECUTION OF PROMISES
The promises made to the parents and the governmental bodies should not be a hoax, implementation of the necessary amends is necessary. Thus, in order to protect the interest of special children, 504 Plan recommends timely visits by inspectors to ensure that the promises are kept and executed too.
EXAMPLES OF ADJUSTMENTS MADE BY EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTES:
- Making the campus accessible though a wheel chair. i.e. straight measured slopes for the wheelchair ridden students to manoeuvre through the campus and not feel like a classroom puppet.
- Allowing hearing aid for students with weak hearing ability in the classroom.
- Seating the special students closer to the teacher so that they can be under watchful care.
- Placing the medicated inhalers in proper places to be used by the teachers in times of emergency.
- Allowing medical leave to the special students for unfavourable weather conditions.
- Leniency in submission of assignment in case of hospitalisation or unfavourable health of the student.
- Allowing provision to type rather than writing for the special students.
- Additional hours during examination for students with slow typing abilities.
504 plan indeed works towards the achievement of the motto instated by Section 504, for creating a society with the virtue of equality imbibed in it, right from the grass root levels. The first place where children socialize is their school. A right beginning could help them blossom out into wonderful and noble citizens.